Things to Know About Burn and Scald Injuries at Work

A burn or a scald is a very painful injury that can result in long-lasting health problems. Even a tiny burn can be painful for many months or even years. If the burn or scald is more severe you can be left with nerve damage, muscle damage, scarring, ligament damage, or worse – a bad burn can kill. Sometimes the scarring can cause severe psychological damage and result in social isolation and depression.


Any part of the body can be burned. The treatment for the burn or the scald depends on where the burn occurs and how severe it is. If a limb is badly burned it may need to be amputated. If the burn is on the face then facial cosmetic surgery may be needed. Burns may not only be the result of heat; they can also occur as a result of cold, chemicals, friction, sunlight, and electricity. If the burn or scald occurs at work, you may be entitled to claim workplace compensation.

First, Second, and Third Degree Burns

Burns are classified as a result of three different categories. For example, you may suffer a first degree burn, a second degree burn, or a third degree burn. The classification often affects the amount of burn compensation you receive.

A first degree burn is a minor burn where the skin is red and there is some pain, but it doesn’t last a long time. In these cases, only the top layer of the skin is affected. Therefore healing is quicker and there is less risk of infection. A second degree burn is a more serious burn, and it will result in a more painful injury. The burn affects deeper layers of the skin. Some fluids will be lost and the burn may cause the body to go into shock, depending on how far it extends. Blistering may occur and there is a risk of infection. A third degree burn is the most serious of the three. These burns affect the skin down to the muscles and the tendons. When these are affected it can cause permanent nerve damage. There will almost always be permanent scarring. Third degree burns may result in death.

How to Make a Burns Injury Claim

If the burn or the scald was at work, or in a public place, and was the result of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to legal redress and compensation. If a burn happens, seek medical advice immediately. Keep a record of the treatment and the diagnosis, and once you are able to, consult a solicitor to open a case for you. Since all burns injuries are different, it is important to get professional advice so you follow the right course of legal action and get the compensation you are entitled to.

burn compensation

Image: Image courtesy of  renjith krishnan/